Jacobs and Mora ready to settle differences

By Togorashi

By Karl Freitag

WBA middleweight champion Daniel “The Miracle Man” Jacobs and challenger Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora got in some verbal sparring in advance of their Spike-televised rematch on September 9 from Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania. Mora said the first fight should have been a no-decision rather than a TKO for Jacobs and he’s happy for the opportunity. Jacobs said he views the fight as a stay busy fight and a step back because he wasn’t able to get a unification fight with WBO champ Billy Joe Saunders.

Daniel Jacobs: In previous interviews he said he was going to have a more exciting style and he was tired of being the boring fighter he used to be that wasn’t appealing to fans, and he wasn’t going to do much running and all this other stuff that he’s been criticized for before, that he wasn’t going to do that. Now that he says he felt the power of myself he says he’s going to completely switch the gameplan…I just hope it’s not a stinker man. You’re getting a second opportunity at my world title, please let’s not make it a snoozer. We’re both receiving a lot of criticism for this fight, but dude, please let’s just make it exciting.

Sergio Mora: Hey listen, I’m the king of criticism. When you can’t take criticism, you don’t belong to be the champion, you don’t belong at the top like that. That’s part of being a world champion, taking all the bullshit from critics and media and everyone else. And if you’re thin-skinned you’re not going to hang very much as the world champion.

In the co-feature, undefeated lightweight contenders Robert Easter Jr. and Richard Commey meet for the vacant IBF lightweight title.

Robert Easter Jr: I’m bringing a lot of fireworks and a lot of action and another short bout. September 9th I will be the IBF world champion.

Richard Commey: I’m coming to put my life on the line and I’m going to be the IBF lightweight world champion.

The post Jacobs and Mora ready to settle differences appeared first on Boxing News.

Source:: Fightnews.com

Mauricio Sulaiman reaffirms mandatory obligations for Tony Bellew and Adonis Stevenson

By Patrick L. Stumberg

Mairis Briedis and Eleider Alvarez lie in wait for the champions.

The word “mandatory” is pretty clear-cut, but it turns out it’s actually pretty flexible in the world of boxing. As such, WBC Grand Poobah Mauricio Suleiman spoke with World Boxing News today about the obligations facing cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew and light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson.

In short, Bellew (27-2-1, 17 KO) must face Mairis Breidis (20-0, 17 KO) after his October showdown with BJ Flores, while Stevenson (28-1, 23 KO) has to take on Eleider Alvarez (20-0, 10 KO) by year’s end.

Breidis has been the WBC mandatory since May, when he punished Olanrewaju Durodola over nine rounds. Alvarez, meanwhile, has been waiting since his decision over Isaac Chilemba last November. Bellew has been busy with Flores and Stevenson took a voluntary bout with Thomas Williams Jr. last month.

Both potential fights should be excellent; Briedis’ brutal knockout of Manuel Charr and his win over Durodola have him pegged as a tremendous fighter to watch and, while Alvarez hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire, he’s a capable light heavyweight who’s earned a crack at the big time.

The lesson here is that it sucks to be Grigory Drozd.

Source:: Bad Left Hook

David Lemieux waits for HBO to greenlight Curtis Stevens fight

By Wil Esco

David Lemieux and Curtis Stevens await approval from HBO before they can finalize their Oct. 22 fight.

David Lemieux and Curtis Stevens are half-way set on an October 22nd middleweight fight that would take place in Montreal’s Bell Centre. If it comes off, it would surely be a fan-friendly fight between two of the biggest punchers in the division.

So with Lemieux and Stevens both wanting the fight, the only thing standing in the way now is word from HBO about whether or not they’ll pick up the fight. Without HBO’s financial backing, Lemieux will have to instead settle for a lesser opponent in a more affordable fight, as Lemieux’s manager Camille Estephan tells RingTV.

“Stevens wants to fight Lemieux and Lemieux wants to fight Stevens,” Estephan told RingTV.com on Tuesday. “But we would have to depend on TV for that and the TV is not done yet. So there’s other opponents that we’re speaking to given the fact that we haven’t finalized the deal with the TV, and it’s a fight that takes on a TV budget. So that’s where we’re at.”

Time, however, is a commodity in short supply as October 22 is fast approaching and they need to hold a press conference very soon to announce whatever fight will take place. Estephan is hoping that now that the Kovalev-Ward fight has been taken care of, HBO will be able to shift their focus to this fight.

Source:: Bad Left Hook

Joseph Diaz wants to fight again after Sept. 17 and go for title in 2017

By Mitch Abramson

Photo by: Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos

Photo by: Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos

Former U.S. Olympian Joseph Diaz Jr. wants to fight again in 2016 after his Sept. 17 date with Andrew Cancio on the Canelo undercard and is hoping it’s an eliminator with a title shot in 2017.

“If I don’t (get hurt) and everything turns out well, then of course I’m looking to fight one more time to close out the year with a bang,” Diaz said on a conference call on Monday to hype his fight at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on HBO PPV. “Hopefully, (I can) fight (a title eliminator) or something and get a title shot by early next year. That’s the game plan.”

Diaz (21-0, 21 knockouts) was hoping a title eliminator took place on Sept. 17 against Josh Warrington (24-0, 5 KOs) for the right to challenge for the WBC featherweight title, currently held by Gary Russell Jr., but it was not to be. Diaz, who has already fought twice this year, said it was a minor letdown not to get that fight but is focused on Cancio (17-3-2, 13 KOs) in the coming weeks.

“It was very unfortunate we couldn’t get that fight to happen,” he said. “But I’m still blessed with this opportunity. I’m still on the Canelo card and I’m still on the pay-per-view portion, so I’m still happy, man. I’ve got a great opponent ahead of me that’s going to bring out the best in me. I’m willing to make a statement September 17th, no matter who the opponent is.”

Struggling to locate a copy of THE RING magazine? Try here (Domestic Only) or

SUBSCRIBE

The post Joseph Diaz wants to fight again after Sept. 17 and go for title in 2017 appeared first on Ring TV.

Source:: The Ring

Kell Brook: A Giant Leap To Make Up For Lost Time

By Babajide Sotande-Peters

After a career filled with unrealised potential, speculative optimism and worrying depths of despondency, Kell Brook looks to shock the…

Continue reading on sundaypuncher »

Source:: sundaypuncher.com

Brunson vs. Garcia tops Oct 14 card in Philly

By Togorashi

It’s another Philly vs. New Jersey showdown when junior middleweight Tyrone Brunson hopes to pin the first loss on Ismael “Tito” Garcia in their scheduled eight-round main event Friday evening, October 14, at the 2300 Arena in South Philadelphia.

Brunson, 31, of North Philadelphia, set a record when he turned pro in 2005 and knocked out each of his first 19 opponents in one round. The streak ended in 2008 when Brunson was held to a six-round draw by Mexican Antonio Soriano in Canada. In his last fight Aug. 5 at the 2300 Arena, Brunson got off the floor twice in the second round to score a spectacular one-punch knockout in the fifth round over Carlos Garcia, of Puerto Rico. That win brought Brunson’s 10-year pro record to 23-6-1, 22 K0s. More important, it gave him the boost he needed to refocus on his once-promising career.

“It’s an honor to be headlining my first main event at home on a great card with a legendary promoter (J Russell Peltz) throwing the show,” said Brunson.

Ismael Garcia, 29, of Vineland, NJ, also comes into the Oct. 14 fight with a win over Carlos Garcia, but it was a much tougher evening. Ismael earned a six-round split decision over Carlos on March 16 at the 2300 Arena.

A pro since 2014, Ismael is 10-0-1, 4K0s, but his career has been hampered by injury and long layoffs. He also has beaten Fred Jenkins, Jr., of Philadelphia, and previously unbeaten lefty Dushane Crooks, of New York.

“I am excited to be fighting such a talented and devastating puncher in Tyrone Brunson,” Garcia said. “I can’t wait to show my critics why I am the best counter- puncher among the young prospects.”

The semifinal eight-rounder will feature unbeaten junior welterweight Mike Reed, of Baltimore, MD.

A slew of local favorites make up the undercard, highlighted by the fourth meeting between lightweights Victor Vasquez; of Philadelphia, and Osnel Charles, of Atlantic City, NJ. Charles leads the series, 2-1, but Vasquez won the last time by knockout.

Another six-round all-Philly lightweight contest pits Anthony Burgin against Gerald Smith.

Also on the card: junior middleweight Isaiah Wise; the return of welterweight Hasan Young; middleweight Fred Jenkins, Jr., lightweight Steven Ortiz; super bantamweight Nelson Acevedo.

* * *

The Tyrone Brunson-Ismael Garcia Philly Fight Night headlines an eight-bout card at the 2300 Arena, located at 2300 South Swanson Street in South Philadelphia (between Ritner & Porter, Front and 2d Streets). The Oct. 14 fight is being sponsored by Parx Casino and Coors Light. Doors open at 6 pm; first fight at 7pm. Tickets are $40, $50 and $75 and can be purchased by calling Peltz Boxing (215-765-0922) and 2300 Arena (267-273-0945). Tickets also can be purchased online at www.2300arena.com. The Oct. 14 card is promoted by Peltz Boxing, Joe Hand Promotions and BAM Boxing.

The post Brunson vs. Garcia tops Oct 14 card in Philly appeared first on Boxing News.

Source:: Fightnews.com

Kell Brook ready to rip into Gennady Golovkin

By Wil Esco

Kell Brook is supremely confident as he heads into the toughest fight of his career, expecting to make history.

Kell Brook is showing no signs of doubt as he prepares to jump two weight classes to take on heavy favorite Gennady Golovkin on September 10. Most of Brook’s confidence stems from his belief that fighting at middleweight will make him that much more dangerous of an opponent since he’ll be stronger, sturdier, and fast. Brook says he’s already seeing direct evidence of this, and speaking with Sky Sports today, Kell Brook adds:

“This is my dream. No British fighter in history has got a win like this one. Every single day I’m pushing myself to get this win. I’m very confident and I’m big, strong and heavy. I’m ready to rip into Golovkin.

“I will find a way to win. These fighters who’ve been in with him have already lost before they went in. I’ve faced death in the face and this is fun to me.”

Brook then went on to talk a bit about his training methods, saying that he’s been training in oxygen tents in order to force his body to create more red blood cells. And by the time the fight comes around, Brook believes he’ll be the one physically imposing himself on the normally bigger fighter in Golovkin.

“In this fight I’m going to be able to do what I want when I want as often as I want and people need to realise that when I get in there, I’m not concentrating on what Golovkin will do – I’m concentrating on doing what I want to do.

“This is my life. This means absolutely everything to me and I’m going to show the world on September 10 what I’m all about. I’m going to take those belts from Gennady Golovkin – believe you me.”

In watching the actual interview on Sky, I get the impression that Brook isn’t just paying lip service to his training and confidence. He appears to be very calm and completely sure of himself and what he’ll be able to do inside the ring — even if perhaps the rest of the world isn’t.

Source:: Bad Left Hook