By Scott Christ
Some surprising results highlighted the first part of today’s boxing in Rio.
The morning session on day three of the boxing in Rio produced some surprises, notably with Spain’s Samuel Carmona bouncing Ireland’s Paddy Barnes in Barnes’ first fight in the light flyweight division.
Barnes won bronze in both Beijing and London, and was one of the top seeds and medal favorites in Rio. Carmona will move on to the quarterfinals to face Yuberjen Martinez of Colombia, who defeated Rogen Ladon of the Philippines, another fighter who had been seeded with a first round bye. Cuba’s Joahanys Argilagos and Kenya’s Peter Warui also won to advance to the next round.
At welterweight, Simeon Chamov of Bulgaria and Gabriel Maestre Perez of Venezuela advanced to the round of 16, with Zoltan Harcsa of Hungary and Christian Mbilli of France doing the same at middleweight.
The heavyweight round of 16 got underway, too, with wins from Evgeny Tishchenko of Russian, Clemente Russo of Italy, Rustam Tulaganov of Uzbekistan, and Abdulkadir Abdullayev of Azerbaijan.
Men’s light flyweight (49kg) (Round of 16)
- Joahanys Argilagos (Cuba) def. Galal Yafai (Great Britain)
- Peter Warui (Kenya) def. Lü Bin (China)
- Yuberjen Martinez (Columbia) def. Rogen Ladon (Philippines)
- Samuel Carmona (Spain) def. Paddy Barnes (Ireland)
Men’s welterweight (69kg) (Round of 32)
- Simeon Chamov (Bulgaria) def. Onur Şipal (Turkey)
- Gabriel Maestre Perez (Venezuela) def. Arajik Marutjan (Germany)
Men’s middleweight (75kg) (Round of 32)
- Zoltan Harcsa (Hungary) def. Arslanbek Achilov (Turkmenistan)
- Christian Mbilli (France) def. Dmytro Mytrofanov (Ukraine)
Men’s heavyweight (91kg) (Round of 16)
- Evgeny Tishchenko (Russia) def. Juan Noguiera (Brazil)
- Clemente Russo (Italy) def. Hassen Chaktami (Tunisia)
- Rustam Tulaganov (Uzbekistan) def. Julio Cesar Castillo (Ecuador)
- Abdulkadir Abdullayev (Azerbaijan) def. Paul Omba Biongolo (France)
Source:: Bad Left Hook