By Scott Christ
Day five of Rio boxing has gotten off to a big start, with four fighters advancing and guaranteed medals.
Day 5 of boxing in Rio is underway, and we’ve got our first four semifinalists, guaranteed medals in the men’s light flyweight and heavyweight divisions.
(Apologies for the lack of more detailed recaps, but the stream from NBC was hopelessly behind for the first time this morning, which we can only hope is not the case this afternoon.)
Men’s light flyweight (49kg) – Quarterfinals
Joahnys Argilagos (Cuba) def. Peter Mungai Warui (Kenya)
- Scores: 30-27, 30-27, 30-27
Argilagos basically toyed with Warui as this fight went on, just thoroughly outclassing a guy who is a good fighter.
Yurberjen Martinez (Colombia) def. Samuel Carmona (Spain)
We’ve got a new leader for best fight of the Olympics, as these two semi-Cinderellas went all out for three rounds, hoping to guarantee a medal in a competition where that was never supposed to be their story. Carmona upset Ireland’s Paddy Barnes in the round of 16, and Martinez did the same to Rogen Ladon of the Philippines. They showed everything that got them here in this fight. Just a furious display. There were no losers.
Men’s bantamweight (56kg) – Round of 32
- Aram Avagyan (Armenia) def. Arashi Morisaka (Japan)
- Chatchai Butdee (Thailand) def. Qais Ashfaq (Great Britain)
- Vitali Nikitin (Russia) def. Boe Warawara (Vanuatu)
Men’s light welterweight (64kg) – Round of 32
- Chinzorig Baatarsukh (Mongolia) def. Thulasi Tharumalingam (Qatar)
- Hovhannes Bachkov (Armenia) def. Luis Arcon (Venezuela)
- Hu Qianxun (China) def. Raúl Curiel (México) (walkover, Curiel failed medical)
Men’s light heavyweight (81kg) – Round of 16
- Julio Cesar la Cruz (Cuba) def. Mehmet Nadir Ünal (Turkey)
- Michel Borges (Brazil) def. Hrvoje Sep (Croatia)
Men’s heavyweight (91kg) – Quarterfinals
- Evgeny Tishchenko (Russia) def. Clementine Russo (Italy)
- Rustam Tulaganov (Uzbekistan) def. Abdulkadir Abdullayev (Azerbaijan)
Source:: Bad Left Hook