Late Results from Plymouth, Massachusetts

By Togorashi

By Matt Thompson

The third time was the charm for Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes! The Polish-born fighter – now residing in Marshfield, MA – has twice challenged for a world title only to come up short in close decisions, but left no doubt Saturday at the Memorial Hall in Plymouth, Massachusetts as she swept all ten rounds over the game and determined Szilvia Szabados of Budapest, Hungary for the vacant WBC Silver Women’s welterweight title.

Lopes was able to consistently land her long jab against the aggressive Szabados, as well as clean right hands as she side stepped the somewhat reckless advance of her opponent.

“It has been a great week,” said Lopes, an attorney out of Brockton, MA. “I settled the biggest case of my career an hour before the weigh-in and tonight I bring home a world championship belt!”

Lopes improves to 16-3-2 while Szabados drops to 13-7. Scores were 100-90 across the board.

Mark “The Italian Bazooka” DeLuca, out of Whitman, MA, remained undefeated with a one-sided decision over Gabor Gorbics over eight rounds. DeLuca has taken his time in dropping from super-middleweight to jr middleweight, testing the waters a bit at a time, but looks like he’s found the right weight to settle at, showing remarkable strength and improved speed at his new weight division.

Gorbics entered the ring with an impressive 19-2 (12) record, looking to make a statement in his first fight out of Hungary, but quickly reverted to a defensive mode after being hurt with body shots as well as finding no chink in the armor in the tight defense of the former US Marine.

DeLuca kept the pressure on Gorbics throughout, moving in behind a strong jab, seamlessly switching from southpaw to orthodox to create new openings, and moving his head well, showcasing a variety of skills, but Gorbics was determined to last the full eight and used constant movement to negate DeLuca’s power and leverage.

Hurting Gorbics to the body in the seventh, it appeared that DeLuca was close to the stoppage he obviously wanted, but Gorbics remained on his bicycle to the final bell, forcing the decision, a predictable 80-72 from all judges.

DeLuca improves o 15-0 (10 KOs).

Greg “The Villain” Vendetti (11-2-1) successfully defended his New England jr. middleweight title via an eight-round unanimous decision over Ibrihim Shabazz (2-3-1). Vendetti has continued to show improvement in recent fights, utilizing controlled aggression, head movement, and a non-stop punching, crowd pleasing style. Shabazz, showed slick defense and determination to last, however, but Vendeti remained patient punching when in range, not falling into the traps that Shabazz attempted to set up with his movement.

Heavyweight Niall Kennedy from Wexford, Ireland, remained undefeated at 6-0 with a third round stoppage over former prospect Willie Palms of Jersey City, Jersey, who drops to 10-11-1 in his first fight in five years. Kennedy got an early start, landing from long range.

“I know these old veterans sometimes take a few rounds to warm up” explained the Irishman. “I figured I’d get some rounds in the bank early, but caught him some clean shots and fortunately finished him.” Although the crowd and Willie felt the stoppage was perhaps slightly premature, Palms was definitely dancing on ice when he got up from the knockdown and the highly respected Gene LoBianco certainly had the best interest of the fighter as he waved the fight to a close.

Amateur standout Amana Pavone of Billerica, MA, was successful in her pro debut with a unanimous decision over Kaline Medeiros of Fall River, MA, in the bantamweight division. Pavone was able to rock Medeiros repeatedly throughout, impressing the crowd with her exciting, take no prisoners style.

Welterweight Paddy Irwin of Athlone, Ireland, improved to 2-0 with a stoppage over Philly’s Khaaliq Core with a consistent body attack, dropping core finally at 2:45 of the first round.

Lawrence, MA amateur star Adrian Sosa scored a first round stoppage over a surprisingly game Shavone Dixon in one round, dropping Dixon with a barrage of punches. Dixon beat the count and wanted to continue but the ringside physician had seen enough and wisely recommended the fight be stopped.

Heavyweight Nick Cyr, also trainer of several other fighters on the event, made quick work out of tough Philly native Brian Richardson. Cyr overwhelmed Richardson with a variety of punches in the first stanza of a scheduled four. Cyr improves to 4-1, while Richardson starts his pro career 0-1.

The promoter was Ken Casey of Murphy’s Boxing and the matchmaker was Mark Vaz. Murphys Boxing returns September 7th to Gilford, NH, as part of the Dropkick Murphys Irish Music Festival.

The post Late Results from Plymouth, Massachusetts appeared first on Boxing News.