By Scott Christ
The WBSS is coming together with most fight dates set for quarterfinal action.
A month ago, the World Boxing Super Series first round matchups were finalized and announced. Now, we’re close to having the first round matchups for the 168 and 200 pound tournaments all the way set.
Here’s where we are right now:
- September 2, Germany: Jürgen Brähmer vs Rob Brant
- September 16, Liverpool, England: Callum Smith vs Erik Skoglund
- October 7, Stuttgart, Germany: Chris Eubank Jr vs Avni Yildirim
- October 14, London, England: George Groves vs Jamie Cox
The Brähmer-Brant matchup should perhaps come with an asterisk right now, since there isn’t an arena or city noted to date, and we’re about three weeks out. It’s also not listed on the WBSS Facebook page, so a date change there might happen. But the rest all looks good and set, apart from getting TV formally announced.
- September 9, Berlin, Germany: Oleksandr Usyk vs Marco Huck
- September 30, Riga, Latvia: Mairis Briedis vs Mike Perez
- TBA: Murat Gassiev vs Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
- TBA: Yunier Dorticos vs Dmitry Kudrayshov
The cruiserweights have more people excited, because it’s closer to a true best-of-the-best lineup — it’s not quite that, but closer than the super middleweights, at any rate. Two of the four fights here are set, with the other two still being worked out, but will happen in September or October, with the semifinals for both sides coming in January-February 2018.
Source:: Bad Left Hook