Conlan: ‘I am going to enjoy the boxing and use my skills’

Conlan: ‘I am going to enjoy the boxing and use my skills’

Source:: ESPN – Boxing

Bryant Jennings in talks with Top Rank, sees ‘wide open’ division

By Mike Coppinger

You can add another name to the resurgent heavyweight division.

Bryant Jennings hasn’t competed since a December 2015 stoppage defeat to Luis Ortiz, but the Philadelphian’s return is in the works.

The fighter’s former promoter, Gary Shaw, is no longer doing just that — promoting — and Jennings had two choices: Buy out the contract or ride it out.

He chose patience — “had to ride it out” — before the contract finally expired on May 1. Now a free agent, Jennings met with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum last week in New York before the Terence Crawford-Felix Diaz fight. Jennings’ manager, James Prince, set up the meeting so Jennings, a savvy businessman, could meet Arum himself.

“We didn’t get a deal done, but we have mutual interest, and we just had a conversation. We had a sit-down, we talked some things out,” Jennings (19-2, 10 knockouts) told RingTV.com on Thursday. “Possibly in the future some things can come come to fruition.

“It went well, we’re on the same page. Bob’s a straight shooter, he going to lay it out there. … The track record behind Bob speaks for itself and the consistency and what he done over the years — it just speaks for itself. It’s obvious when you look at the numbers, the numbers are going to tell the truth.”

Top Rank Vice President Carl Moretti confirmed to RingTV.com that “there was a meeting (with) some interest on both sides.”

It’s a natural move for both parties. Top Rank co-promotes WBO heavyweight titleholder Joseph Parker, and also promotes Andy Ruiz, who gave the New Zealand native all he could handle in December.

Jennings is strong and athletic, and although he’s coming off a pair of losses (the only two of his career), they came against RING Top 5-rated heavyweights in Wladimir Klitschko and Ortiz (who wasn’t rated at the time but came in at No. 5 after beating Jennings). Jennings actually gave future Hall of Famer Klitschko some issues with his athleticism and speed on his way to a decision defeat, and then accepted another challenging fight immediately after.

The 32-year-old splits his time between Boca Raton, Florida, and Philadelphia, and while he hasn’t competed under the bright lights, he’s been hard at work. Jennings was in camp with Alexander Povetkin ahead of the eventually scrapped fight against Bermane Stiverne (scheduled for December 2016). “By-By” also helped Shannon Briggs prepare for Fres Oquendo before that fight was canceled Monday.

Jennings remains in great shape — not just physically, but mentally.

“Everybody be forgetting about life, so I’ve been living,” said Jennings, who took time to educate himself on finances following the two biggest purses of his career.”They just want you to be in the ring all damn day and be stupid. … It’s definitely nice to take advantage of yourself, take some time for yourself to figure some things out. When you’re training all the time you definitely can’t do that.”

Arum asked Jennings, “When will you be ready to fight?”

“I said ‘yesterday.’ It’s always been whatever with whoever,” Jennings said. “These dudes are not competitive. I hate when I speak on it and they say, ‘Oh you’re negative.’ I’ll just be quiet.”

Before the losses to Klitschko and Ortiz, Jennings built some buzz with wins on HBO over Artur Szpilka and Mike Perez in 2014. With more than one year off to recharge his batteries, Jennings hopes to mix it up with some of the best in the division soon enough.

“In a perfect world, the plan is to get active, stay active, be consistent and show the world I’m of a different era,” he said. “It’s only been eight years since [I started] boxing anyway. They don’t appreciate realness, they don’t appreciate rarity. They look at everything that’s common.

“The game is wide open.”

The post Bryant Jennings in talks with Top Rank, sees ‘wide open’ division appeared first on The Ring.

Source:: The Ring – Boxing

Kell Brook: ‘I’m the southpaw-slayer’

By Tom Gray

When a big fight comes around there are always questions, and Kell Brook defending his IBF welterweight title against unbeaten American Errol Spence Jr. presents more than most.

The pair will collide at Bramall Lane soccer stadium in Sheffield, England, on Saturday, before a crowd of approximately 26,000 people. It is a U.K. pay-per-view event, has been picked up by Showtime in the U.S. and it is the hottest ticket in world boxing this weekend.

Brook, who is rated No. 2 by THE RING at 147 pounds, won the title in August 2014 when he outpointed highly rated brawler Shawn Porter in Carson, California. The Sheffield-born boxer-puncher has made three successful defenses, against “Jo Jo” Dan, Frankie Gavin and Kevin Bizier. Spence, a highly talented and explosive southpaw, looks like none of the above.

“He’s very good at everything he does and there’s nothing I can pull him on,” admitted Brook in an interview with RingTV.com. “I’m up against someone who has similarities to myself. He’s big, he’s a smart fighter, he can punch and he can box. It all comes back to experience and I’ve proven that I have the will to win. This time around he’s in with the champion.

“I’ve been over to California and won the world title. I’ve been through what Errol is going through now but I’ve come through the other side. I’ve been in big fights, big stadium fights, and I know what it takes. I’ve defended the title and I’ve sampled the big fight atmosphere. He still has question marks and we’re going to find out what he’s made of.”

Yes, at this point, you’re either a believer or a non-believer when it comes to Spence. The American’s best victories have arguably come against Chris Algieri and Leonard Bundu and, although Spence dazzled in those virtuoso performances, Brook is keen to keep things in perspective. The Sheffield man stated that Algieri “couldn’t threaten Spence with his punch-power” and Bundu was “over the hill.”

But what about Spence’s southpaw style and power? The visitor, who is rated No.7 by THE RING, has won 21 straight, scoring 18 knockouts, and nobody has come close to testing him.

“I’ve been quoted before as saying I’m the southpaw-slayer,” replied Brook confidently. “I can get my shots off and I can get involved with southpaws and figure them out.

Errol Spence. Photo by Naoki Fukuda

“I think this fight will erupt and you can expect anything. You can even expect both of us to be hurt. You can expect both of us to be asked serious questions and I know, from experience, that I can answer those questions. I’ve shown that I can adapt and find a way to win. I’ve never lost at welterweight and I’ve trained hard for this fight.”

And therein lies the next question. In his most recent outing, last September, Brook was transformed into a solid 160-pounder to challenge the most feared middleweight in the world, Gennady Golovkin. Brook had a go but succumbed to the bigger man in five rounds, sustaining a broken orbital bone in the process.

Many expected him to vacate his welterweight title and settle in at junior middleweight. Brook (36-1, 25 knockouts) had struggled to make 147 pounds before his excursion into middleweight territory, so surely his days at welterweight were over? Not according to Brook, who was unwilling to give up what he worked so hard for.

Can the Englishman be as good as he was at welterweight, following a substantial weight-drop, or will the laws of physiology catch up on the 31-year-old?

“At this moment in time, I think it’s been a very good move,” Brook said in earnest. “I didn’t train my whole career to get that world title so that I could give it up. It has been a struggle but we’re going to find out how I can perform at welterweight. I’ll refuel after the weigh-in and get all the rehydration drinks into me.

“I’ll be firing on all cylinders. I’m fighting-fit, ready, sharp and I’ll be able to do this. I might stay at welterweight (after this fight) but it depends how I feel. When I come out of this one, I’d like to sign up for another fight and get back out before the end of the year. I’d like to get another fight arranged when I’m still lean, fit and healthy.”

All the questions are due to be answered. Can Spence kick it at top level? Will Brook’s experience prove decisive? Can Spence take a direct hit? Can Brook still operate effectively at the welterweight limit?

“You’re going to be in a fight and I’m coming,” hissed Brook when asked to deliver Spence a pre-fight message. “I am Sheffield steel and the title will stay in Sheffield.”

Tom Gray is a UK Correspondent/ Editor for RingTV.com and a member of THE RING ratings panel. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Gray_Boxing

Struggling to locate a copy of THE RING Magazine? Try here or…

SUBSCRIBE

You can subscribe to the print and digital editions of THE RING Magazine by clicking the banner or here. You can also order the current issue, which is on newsstands, or back issues from our subscribe page. On the cover this month: Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. – Mano A Mano.

The post Kell Brook: ‘I’m the southpaw-slayer’ appeared first on The Ring.

Source:: The Ring – Boxing

De La Hoya expects 3M buys for Canelo-Golovkin

By Wil Esco

Oscar De La Hoya has some high hopes for this fall’s big fight.

In this video interview caught by FightHub, Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya talks about his expectations for this September’s Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin fight as he narrows down his list of potential venues.

De La Hoya on his opinion about the current state of boxing:

“With the heavyweight division being back with Anthony Joshua, you know with the Keith Thurman fight that was viewed by what, more that 5 million people on prime time TV, with Canelo-Chavez selling over a million homes — we’re expecting close to 3 million with Golovkin and Canelo in September. These are the types of fights that bring boxing back, and that’s exactly my mission – is to bring boxing back, bring back that excitement that people used to live for when watching boxing. So little by little we’re chipping that block and hopefully making it happen.”

On where Canelo-Golovkin will be held:

“It’s between Dallas and Las Vegas so I have my meetings set already, all this week and next week, and hopefully I can have an answer for you in a few days.”

On what will ultimately be the deciding factor in choosing a venue:

“What was that movie, ‘show me the money!’ [laughs]. No, no, it’s all about where the fans want it. I mean, look, we’ve been having polls on ESPN and all over on the web,on the internet, and it’s all about where the fans want it and a lot of fans are saying they want it in Dallas – it’s almost split right down the middle – a lot of people want it in Vegas because of the whole excitement and Vegas and the lights and action and so I have my work cut out but I’m sure I’ll decide on the perfect place for this fight.”

Source:: Bad Left Hook

Watch live: Brook-Spence weigh-in, 8 a.m. ET

Watch live: Brook-Spence weigh-in, 8 a.m. ET

Source:: ESPN – Boxing

34th IBF convention officially closes

By Togorashi

By Boxing Bob Newman
Photos: Bob Newman

The final meeting of the 34th annual IBF convention was held this morning in St. Petersburg, FL. The first order of the day was taking suggestions for next year’s convention. Possible sites include: St. Petersburg (Russia), Rome, Philippines, Macau (China) and Philadelphia. After cost analysis, federation exposure and travel feasibility, a decision will be rendered and made public. That was all the content of the closing meeting and with that, IBF president Daryl Peoples officially closed the 34th convention, bidding fare travels to the assembled delegates until next year, wherever that may be.

A private directorate meeting will be held this afternoon, in which matters concerning the Andre Dirrell-Jose Uzcategui fight as well as issues concerning the Anthony Joshua-Wladimir Klitschko rematch and mandatory defense obligations will be deliberated and ruled upon. Fightnews.com will dispense the news as we learn it.

The post 34th IBF convention officially closes appeared first on Boxing News.

Source:: Fightnews.com

Andre Dirrell talks fallout from Uzcategui fight

By Wil Esco

Andre Dirrell says he doesn’t condone his uncle’s sucker punch on Jose Uzcategui, and that he let him know that directly.

Andre Dirrell may have officially won his IBF title eliminator bout against Jose Uzcategui this past weekend, but certainly not the manner he’d hoped for. Dirrell won the fight based on an 8th round DQ of Uzcategui, who knocked Dirrell out with a late punch after the bell.

Of course by now we all know what happened in the immediate aftermath, with Dirrell’s trainer and uncle Leon Lawson Jr. sneaking up on Uzcategui and hammering him with a bare-knuckle punch that he never saw coming. In the ensuing chaos, Lawson was able to escape the arena before he could be apprehended by local police officers.

Lawson still hasn’t been caught by authorities to face assault charges stemming from the incident, but he has since spoken to his nephew, who in turn tells RingTV that his uncle said to him: “I do regret it, but I don’t regret protecting you.”

The problem here is that no one who saw what happened would really consider that to be an act of protection — the fight had already been stopped and both fighters were separated in their respective corners at the time Lawson laid into Uzcategui. But the bonds of family and memories of a similar incident against Arthur Abraham, from which Dirrell suffered some post-fight neurological issues, appeared to overwhelm Lawson in that moment.

“(Lawson is) just a really, really loyal guy, man,” Dirrell (26-2, 16 knockouts) said. “He saw my kids crying and it happened to me before with Arthur Abraham and he was fed up. It happens to me in sparring often because (fighters) can’t get off like they want to.”

And just like in that 2010 fight with Abraham, many fans accused Dirrell of faking how badly he was hurt in order to secure a cheap disqualification win. Dirrell, however, says that’s not true at all, emphatically stating that he would’ve gotten up from the punch if he was able to.

Dirrell goes on to say that the whole experience has been pretty painful for him, knowing that there’s a good chance his uncle will never be allowed to work his corner again, but says that Lawson should’ve kept his composure — much like trainers teach their fighters to do amidst incoming fire.

”…I talked to him yesterday and said, ‘You shouldn’t have did that.’ I didn’t agree with it at all. People who don’t love him, I understand how they feel. He loves his family, he hated the fact that I got (fouled) again. My career has been a rollercoaster, and I mean one of the most frightening roller coasters. It hasn’t been easy. My uncle wanted me to have a smooth fight. He knew I didn’t deserve (to be fouled), especially toward the end of my career.”

But Dirrell also made it explicitly clear that Uzcategui didn’t deserve what he got from Lawson, particularly considering how vulnerable Uzcategui was at the time. He offered his apologies to Uzcategui and his team for what his uncle did, saying it still bothers him very much.

Moving forward, despite whatever controversy there might be about whether a disqualification was truly warranted, Dirrell is officially in position for another world title shot as James DeGale’s mandatory challenger. However Uzcategui’s team is looking to change that, asking for the fight to be ruled a no contest and that an immediate rematch is ordered, arguing the late punch was an accidental foul rather than an intentional one.

But even if the commission doesn’t overturn the official ruling, Dirrell says that it was no way to win and that he’ll gladly give Uzcategui a rematch following a title shot against James DeGale.

Source:: Bad Left Hook