Tim Bradley: Manny Pacquiao fight is ‘seek and destroy, him or me’

By Lem Satterfield

Tim Bradley could probably retire undefeated.

But if Bradley’s legacy did not include a second victory over Manny Pacquiao, the WBO welterweight beltholder still would consider his career to be unfulfilled, according to statements he made during Saturday’s night’s first of three episodes of 24/7: Pacquiao-Bradley II on HBO.

Bradley (31-0, 12 knockouts) is coming up on an April 12 rematch with Pacquiao (55-5-2, 38 KOs), from whom he earned his current title by disputed split decision in June 2012.

Bradley was awarded the decision over Pacquiao by scores of 115-113 on the cards of official judges C.J. Ross and Duane Ford. Jerry Roth had the same score for Pacquiao and an informal poll of 51 writers favored Pacquiao over Bradley, 48-3.

“Truly, I have arrived but what is it that just keeps bothering me, man?” said Bradley. “It’s that whole Pacquiao situation and everything that went on with that.”

Bradley followed up the win over Pacquiao by rising from a 12th-round knockdown to secure a unanimous decision over Ruslan Provodnikov in March of 2013, as well as a split decision last October over four-division titlewinner Juan Manuel Marquez, who was coming off a sixth-round stoppage victory over Pacquiao in December 2012.

Yet despite defeating Marquez, against whom Pacquiao is 2-1-1, Bradley still craves a decisive victory over Pacquiao.

“If I don’t go back and revisit that chapter of my life,” said Bradley, “then I’m never going to be able to get over it.”

Pacquiao rebounded from the Marquez loss with November’s unanimous decision over rising 140-pounder Brandon Rios, a former 135-pound titlist.

“Manny says that he’s going to be the aggressive, destructive Manny Pacquiao of old times. I love challenges. I love when people say that I can’t do something,” said Bradley, “because I love to prove them all wrong like I have been doing my whole career. I know that I’m going to be the underdog even though I’m the champion.”

The WBO has declared that the winner of Bradley-Pacquiao II must face that between Marquez and Mike Alvarado, who will fight on May 17.

Bradley wants to earn that opportunity.

“I don’t want a gift. I want a win,” said Bradley. “When I walk down the street, I want people to say, ‘Dang, that’s the guy that beat Pacquiao.’ I want to win and I want the credit for it.”

Bradley’s triumph ended a 15-bout winning streak that included eight knockouts for Pacquiao, an eight-division titlewinner who was in his 60th career fight. Pacquiao had last suffered defeat against Erik Morales by unanimous decision in March of 2005.

During his winning streak, Pacquiao had twice stopped Morales, earned split and majority decisions over Marquez, knocked out Oscar De la Hoya, Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton and decisioned Marco Antonio Barrera, whom he had also stopped in 2003.

“You’ve got to be hungry. You’ve got to seek and destroy,” said Bradley, “and that’s what we’ve set out to do. I’m going to be there every minute of every dang round. It’s either him or me.”

The post Tim Bradley: Manny Pacquiao fight is ‘seek and destroy, him or me’ appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring

    

Stiverne vs Arreola II: Chris Arreola looking to make amends for first fight

By Scott Christ

Chris Arreola isn’t kidding himself about his performance the first time he faced Bermane Stiverne.

Chris Arreola has a lot of respect for Bermane Stiverne, and it came at a price. When the two met in April 2013, Stiverne dominated Arreola over 12 rounds on HBO to become the WBC mandatory challenger in a breakout performance, one that seemed to set Arreola back yet again.

But with their May 10 rematch, Arreola will have a chance to not only avenge the defeat, but to win the now-vacant WBC heavyweight title. His win over Seth Mitchell in September put him in position to rematch Stiverne for the vacant belt, which was given up by Vitali Klitschko late last year.

Arreola says he’s hungry for the rematch not just to win and to become the new champ, but to make up for a dreadful performance the first time around:

“I want this rematch not only for the magnitude of this fight but because of the magnitude I got my ass kicked. I watch that fight and I am, like, such a dumbass. I learned to don’t get caught. I always have to be alert. I can’t be throwing lazy jabs against Stiverne. I have to be on Bermane from round one to 12.”

Arreola (36-3, 31 KO) will be fighting for a world title for the second time, after a one-sided beating at the hands of Vitali Klitschko back in 2009, which seems like ages ago at this point. Stiverne (23-1-1, 20 KO) is getting his first crack at one of the four major belts, the other three currently held by Wladimir Klitschko, who is also the Ring Magazine champion.

Do you think Arreola will be better, or have you heard this story too many times now?

Source: Bad Left Hook

    

Nate Campbell: An eye on the future

By Togorashi By Scott Foster Photos: Scott Foster Nate Campbell (37-11, 26 KOs) made a successful return to the ring Saturday night, dispatching an over-matched Gilbert Venegas (12-13, 8 KOs) via unanimous 8-round decision. With the win, the ex-lightweight champion Campbell earned …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Classic Minotauro Moments

By cozman471 On Friday, April 11, UFC Fight Pass subscribers will have the opportunity to see one of MMA’s true heavyweight greats, Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira, step into the Octagon to face popular knockout artist Roy “Big Country” Nelson in the main …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Chris Arreola: I will be a nightmare for Stiverne

By Togorashi By Miguel Maravilla Photo: Big Joe Miranda Top rated heavyweight contender Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (36-3, 31 KOs) of Riverside, California is ready to get a crack once again at top contender Bermane “B-Ware” Stiverne (23-1-1, 20 KOs), of Miami …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Why a technical draw and not a “no contest”

By Togorashi By Graham Houston The unsatisfactory ending to the Stuart Hall vs Martin Ward IBF bantamweight title fight on the weekend had sporting types feeling somewhat aggrieved. Under U.K. betting rules, the technical draw result meant that all wagers on either …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Welsh duo Nathan Cleverly, Lee Selby top May 17 card in Cardiff

By Doug Fischer

Left to right, European featherweight champ Lee Selby, promoter Eddie Hearn, and former light heavyweight beltholder Nathan Cleverly pose at a recent press conference announcing their May 17 co-feature in Cardiff, Wales. Photo by Kris Agland

Left to right, European featherweight champ Lee Selby, promoter Eddie Hearn, and former light heavyweight beltholder Nathan Cleverly pose at a recent press conference announcing their May 17 co-feature in Cardiff, Wales. Photo by Kris Agland

Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sports announced at a press conference at St. David’s Hotel and Spa in Cardiff last week that Welsh duo Nathan Cleverly and Lee Selby will co-headline a bumper show on May 17 against opponents soon to be announced.

‘The card will be live on Sky Sports from the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff.

“I’m delighted to be back in Wales after the huge success of our February show,” said Hearn. “It’s great to be teaming up with Nathan Cleverly and Lee Selby is now on the verge of a World Title shot, so it’s a huge night for both men.”

It will be first fight for Cleverly (26-1, 12 knockouts) since he lost the WBO light heavyweight title last August against fearsome Russian puncher Sergey Kovalev.

Since then the 27-year-old college graduate has looked to return to the ring on several occasions only to pull out through injury. Now nine months later he’s ready to return to action, stepping up to cruiserweight.

After so long on the sidelines Cleverly is eager to return to action.

“I’m excited to get back into the ring on May 17,” said Cleverly. “There are some big fights in the division, I’ve had a great rest and had a chance to lead a normal life and I am ready now to start a new chapter.”

It marks an interesting turn of events for Cleverly who has been aligned with Frank Warren for his entire career. Though not signing promotional forms with Matchroom, Cleverly will be working with them on a fight-by-fight capacity.

“I took a long time to decide, it was a tough decision. I was out of contract with Frank Warren so I had the choice, do I re-sign with Queensbury Promotions or do I go with Matchroom and Eddie Hearn,” Cleverly said.

“There were two great opportunities on the table but ultimately I felt the best move for my career was with Matchroom, Eddie Hearn and Sky Sports. I felt more inclined to that direction because that was the one that was exciting me more, being back on Sky, showcasing my skills, to bring the buzz and excitement back.

“I’ve stayed loyal to Frank over the last two years; it’s been a great chapter one. I’ve been living the dream as a world champion but there has been problems. It has been tough for me, mentally. It’s been very, very stressful. It was starting to affect me, it was starting to effect my performance, my training, my mental attitude and so I wanted to leave that behind and it was only fair to myself that I moved on and had a fresh start.”

In February, Lee Selby (18-1, 7 KOs) added the European featherweight championship to the British and Commonwealth titles he already owns when he disposed of former junior featherweight world title challenger Rendell Munroe in six rounds.

Currently Selby, 27, is ranked No. 3 by the WBC, while the IBF have him at No. 6.

Though no opponent was named it will be a further examination of Selby’s credentials before he hopes to challenge for a world title in the not too distant future.

“I’m so close to achieving my dream of being WBC champion,” said Selby. “I think I am good enough to hold my own with any featherweight in the world, but I want to win the title and defend it, so that’s the goal that we are building towards.”

Also on the card will be an intriguing lightweight rematch between Gary Buckland (28-3, 9 KOs) and Gavin Rees (37-4-1, 18 KOs). The first encounter produced a Fight of the year candidate with Buckland winning a split decision by the slimmest of margins 116-113, 115-114 while the dissenting judge scored for Rees 116-113.

Going into the first fight Rees said if he lost he’d retire, but the closeness of the contest and Rees believing he won led to him ask for a rematch, something Buckland was all too happy to accept.

Liverpool’s rising super middleweight prospect Callum Smith (9-0, 7 KOs) will be fighting on front of a partisan crowd for the first time as a pro when he takes on Tobias Webb (14-1-1, 2 KOs) over 10 rounds.

The 23 year old hasn’t fought since last October and will first see action on April 19 in Manchester.

Swansea’s Chris Jenkins (14-0, 6 KOs), famed for winning Prizefighter, will also appear. He won an international junior welterweight belt on Feb. 1 by widely out-pointing experienced Frenchman Christopher Sebire.

Jenkins, 25, is primed to make an assault on the British title currently held by Curtis Woodhouse later this year.

Also scheduled to appear is Andy Lee (31-2, 22 KOs), who first has to get through a fight on April 14 in Denmark. Hearn mentioned that Lee, a former middleweight title challenger, is looking at dropping down to junior middleweight.

Tickets are on sale now priced at £30, £40 and £60 ringside available from www.livenation.co.uk or by calling 02920 22 44 88, and from Sanigar Events on 0117 949 6699.

VIP Packages priced £120 are available from www.matchroomboxing.com or by calling 01277 359900.

Questions and/or comments can be sent to Anson at elraincoat@live.co.uk and you can follow him at www.twitter.com/AnsonWainwright

The post Welsh duo Nathan Cleverly, Lee Selby top May 17 card in Cardiff appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring