Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn to join injured Kell Brook in Spain

By Brian Harty

British promoter Eddie Hearn is flying to Tenerife to visit Kell Brook in the hospital as the new IBF welterweight titleholder recovers after being stabbed on the Spanish holiday island.

Before leaving, Matchroom supremo Hearn admitted details of the attack, which occurred early Thursday morning near the apartment in which Brook was staying with his girlfriend and daughter, and the extent of the injuries sustained remain “sketchy.”

The latest coming out of Spain is that the 28-year-old English star was rushed to the hospital with two stab wounds in the left leg and some cuts to his arms. However, Hearn reiterated earlier reports suggesting Brook is in a stable condition.

It’s a bit sketchy in terms of information filtering through but I am booked on a flight out late tonight and so are Kell’s parents,” Hearn said to Sky Sports News HQ. “It’s difficult to get any actual confirmation from the hospital without being there. We heard he lost a lot of blood but that he’s now in a stable condition and, hopefully, on the mend.”

Brook (33-0, 22 knockouts) produced a stunning performance last month in Carson, California, when he took the IBF belt off American favorite Shawn Porter. The Brit is scheduled to return to the ring on Dec. 6 in Sheffield, England, although Hearn now has no idea if that homecoming show will go ahead.

He was due to fly back tomorrow, on Friday. We were going to send him out to the Mayweather fight and then he was going to start camp for December 6,” he said. ”Obviously, there has been severe disruption to those plans, but again we are waiting for more information and to assess the injury.

We hope that after a couple of weeks it will be healed and he’ll be able to start training again. But at the moment, December 6 is looking unclear and our thoughts are not about fighting again but making sure he’s okay.”

Earlier in the day a statement from Spanish police confirmed news of the incident.

“This morning a 28-year-old British man was stabbed at Golf del Sur in San Miguel de Abona,” said a spokesman. “He was stabbed in the left leg and is hospitalized. He lost a lot of blood. There are no arrests at this time and the Guardia Civil are investigating.”

This is the second time Brook has been the victim of a stabbing. In 2007, he suffered wounds to a thigh and buttock after being knifed in Sheffield.

English sports writer Harry Pratt is on Twitter: @gharrypratt

The post Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn to join injured Kell Brook in Spain appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring

    

Broner-Taylor Press Conference Quotes

By Togorashi Photos: Stephanie Trapp / SHOWTIME Mark Zerof – Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions The Adrien Broner show continued on Thursday during the final press conference for Saturday’s Showtime tripleheader at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati. “The Problem” debuted “Bronish,” his own …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Quillin vacates title; loses out on $1.4M purse

By Dan Rafael “Kid Chocolate” Peter Quillin vacated his middleweight world title and kissed a career-high $1.4 million purse goodbye on Thursday.

Source: ESPN

    

Golovkin vs Rubio tickets going fast for October 18 fight at StubHub Center

By Scott Christ

Gennady Golovkin’s west coast move is looking like a good idea early, as tickets have been moving quickly for his October 18 fight in California.

K2 Promotions says that tickets for Gennady Golovkin’s first big fight on the west coast are moving fast, as 50% of the tickets have already been sold for his October 18 title defense against Marco Antonio Rubio at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

“Since putting tickets on sale last Wednesday during the Los Angeles press conference at Olvera Street we’ve seen sales skyrocket, this is the fastest selling boxing event that’s been held at the StubHub Center,” said Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions. “I strongly encourage boxing fans to purchase tickets in advance so they don’t miss out on this great night of boxing.”

Continued Loeffler, “We always felt Gennady’s popularity on the West Coast would mirror his East Coast presence and the early ticket sales strongly validate that.” Golovkin has fought five previous times in the United States and on HBO over the last two years, most recently at Madison Square Garden.

“Southern California and the StubHub Center have a tremendous legacy of memorable boxing events and we anticipate “Mexican Style” to be at the top of that storied list.”

Golovkin (30-0, 27 KO) will be making a fairly quick turnaround, having just demolished Daniel Geale in three rounds on July 26. Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KO) last fought on April 5 in Mexico, knocking out Domenico Spada in 10 rounds. HBO will televise the fight.

If you’re looking to attend the fight, here’s the ticket info:

Presented by K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions in association with Promociones Del Pueblo, advance tickets priced at $210, $105, $53 and $27, plus applicable service charges are available online at AXS.com, by phone at 888-9-AXS-TIX (888-929-7849) and at the StubHub Center Box Office (Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. PT to 6 p.m. PT).

Source: Bad Left Hook

    

Manny Pacquiao: Floyd Mayweather is still ducking me

By Scott Christ

Manny Pacquiao talks about his November 22 fight with Chris Algieri, and the belief that Floyd Mayweather is still avoiding a fight with him.

Source: Bad Left Hook

    

Peter Quillin vacates WBO title, won’t fight Matt Korobov

By Scott Christ

Peter Quillin isn’t WBO middleweight titleholder anymore, as he’s relinquished the title, ostensibly to chase bigger fights.

In a move that has a lot of boxing folks hanging their head in shame, WBO middleweight titleholder Peter Quillin has decided to vacate his belt rather than face mandatory challenger Matt Korobov, in a fight that had been bought at purse bid by new promotional firm Roc Nation Sports.

“I’d like to thank WBO president Paco Valcarcel and his organization for their support throughout the years,” said Quillin. “Winning the WBO world championship was a highlight in my career and something I’ll never forget, this is a difficult decision, but in order to make the fights the fans and I want against my fellow middleweights at the top of the division, I needed to relinquish the title. This is an exciting new chapter in my life, and I’m looking forward to cementing my spot as the best middleweight in the world.”

Quillin was scheduled to make a career-best $1.4 million for the fight, and most of the reaction thus far has been to dismiss his credibility as “middleweight champion,” as if he ever really had any, and to suddenly hold titles up as meaningful and valuable.

But since boxing fans and media are so quick to dismiss title belts in the first place, why does this really matter? The idea that Quillin is “ducking” Korobov is kind of silly, since the fact of the matter is, it looks as though Quillin is instead targeting a much-discussed fight with Daniel Jacobs, who is also advised by Al Haymon and fights under the Golden Boy banner.

Jacobs holds the WBA “regular” title, which is a paper belt to be sure, but so was Quillin’s WBO title, for all it really matters. The calls of Quillin being a coward are overdone, but boxing breeds a desire to see things that aren’t going to happen. If Quillin had unified his belt with another — which wasn’t on the table right now, anyway — then he probably would have been forced to vacate or stripped of one of them, anyway.

My point is, these title belts get in the way as much as they help anything. Forget the stupid belts for a moment. If Quillin fights Jacobs instead of Korobov, are you really going to be upset that you’re getting a better fight? If he doesn’t, and he fights another Konecny or Guerrero level opponent, then sure, raise hell, but until then, I’m interested in seeing where this goes.

Of course, the other thing here is that Al Haymon likely didn’t want to work with Roc Nation Sports, even though they had proposed giving his fighter a lot of money, and supposedly, getting his fighters lots of money is the thing Haymon cares about. So maybe it is shameful, but I’m not sure it’s Quillin that deserves the blame here even if it is.

Source: Bad Left Hook

    

Peter Quillin vacates WBO middleweight title

By Togorashi Middleweight star Peter Quillin announced today that he is vacating his WBO middleweight title, effective immediately, in order to pursue bigger opportunities at 160 pounds. In doing so, Quillin passes up a career high $1.4 million payday by defending against …

Source: Fightnews.com