Kovalev vs Agnew weigh-in: Cedric Agnew overweight, Mayfield and Dulorme brawl on the stage

By Scott Christ

Cedric Agnew missed weight on his initial try for tomorrow night’s HBO main event, and co-feature fighters Karim Mayfield and Thomas Dulorme brawled after hitting the scales. Fun weigh-in!

In a strange weigh-in event from Caesars Atlantic City, Sergey Kovalev made the 175-pound limit with no trouble, while challenger and first-time HBO fighter Cedric Agnew was a bit overweight. With a main event not quite settled, the co-feature fighters Karim Mayfield and Thomas Dulorme got into a brawl on the stage after hitting the scales.

Just one of those days.

Kovalev (23-0-1, 21 KO) weighed in at 174.3 pounds, while Agnew (26-0, 13 KO) tipped the scales at 175.8, or 0.8 pounds over the limit. The challenger weighed in a second time after the staredown, going au naturel with the aid of someone’s jacket (a towel was not at the ready), but the weight was not announced by MC Joe Antonacci. Main Events tweeted that Agnew has 45 minutes to lose the 0.8 pounds.

Bj1qxbkiyaattir

After the main eventers had weighed in, the HBO co-feature fighters hit the stage. Both made weight and looked good, with Mayfield (18-0-1, 11 KO) weighed in at 139.6 and Dulorme (20-1, 14 KO) at 139.8, but they followed that with some close quarters trash talking and … licking. Yes. Licking. Which led to choking. And all of that led not to anything kinky, as the description might make one expect, but to a flash of real violence that was a bit more nasty than the usual pull-apart between camps. This followed on the heels of a confrontation the two had that was captured by HBO earlier this week.

Luckily, Aaron Davis, the gigantic (6’7″, 280, according to reporter Keith Idec) New Jersey commissioner, took control of the situation and cleared the stage, towering over all who dared disrespect his sport in his state.

Source: Bad Left Hook

    

Golovkin’s promoter discusses $1 million weight penalty for Chavez Jr.

By Lem Satterfield

Calling his fighter “a small middleweight,” promoter Tom Loeffler justified the $1 million penalty that is in place for the non-title, 168-pound bout between WBA 160-pound beltholder Gennady Golovkin and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., slated for July 19 at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif.

Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum informed RingTV.com of the development in an earlier report.

“That was one of the conditions. We agreed to come to 168 pounds with no catchweight and the penalty is a million dollars if either fighter doesn’t make the weight,” said Loeffler of K2 Promotions, which handles Golovkin. “That’s important because if we have a contracted weight of 168, and if Gennady’s going to come up to 168 pounds, that the fighters make the weight.”

Chavez (48-1-1, 32 knockouts) is coming off consecutive unanimous decisions over Bryan Vera, the rematch being a super middleweight bout on March 1. Their first fight in September was contested at a 173-pound catchweight after a deal was reached in the wake of Chavez’s failure to make the originally contracted super middleweight limit of 168.

“We have had a rash of situations with fighters recently blowing through the contracted weight and this is something that, with a million dollar penalty, it assures that there is an incentive for neither fighter to miss the weight,” said Loeffler.

“Gennady is a small middleweight in the first place and he has an easy time making 160 pounds. But to make this fight a bigger fight, instead of haggling over some type of catchweight, we figured that it made the most sense to fight at 168 pounds and that was really one of the conditions for the Chavez fight — to have Gennady fight him at 168 pounds.”

Golovkin (29-0, 26 KOs) is coming off last month’s seventh-round stoppage of Osumanu Adama, representing his 16th straight knockout victory.

Golovkin pulled out of a scheduled April 26 defense against Andy Lee due to the death of his father, Gennady Ivanovich Golovkin, who passed as the result of a heart attack on February 18. Golovkin immediately began observing a period of mourning, a tradition in his culture, to spend time with his family in his native Kazakhstan.

Loeffler said he expects Golovkin to be in attendance at the April 12 rematch between WBO 147-pound beltholder Tim Bradley and Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The post Golovkin’s promoter discusses $1 million weight penalty for Chavez Jr. appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring

    

Thomas Dulorme found motivation, Robert Garcia after first loss

By Doug Fischer

It is amazing what a loss does to a fighter, especially when that fighter is a highly-touted prospect.

Some fighters are never the same, either because they could not psychologically get over the loss or the loss exposed their lack of talent.

Then there are those fighters who learn from the loss, get stronger mentally and physically, and eventually fulfill their dream of becoming a world champion.

Thomas Dulorme believes he’s in the second category.

Dulorme will face unbeaten junior welterweight contender Karim Mayfield in a 10-round bout inside the Ballroom at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. on Saturday. The fight will precede the main event bout between WBO light heavyweight titleholder Sergey Kovalev and Cedric Agnew.

Both bouts will be televised live on HBO’s Boxing After Dark.

It was almost a year and a half ago when Dulorme was stopped at the hands of hard-hitting Luis Carlos Abregu on another B.A.D. show. The seventh-round TKO made many fans question whether Dulorme was more suspect than a future contender. Rather than dwell on the loss, the soft-spoken Dulorme moved on, returning to the ring within four months of his first loss.

Dulorme (20-1, 14 KOs) has won his last four bouts over modest competition. In his last bout on Nov. 30, in his hometown of Carolina, Puerto Rico, Dulorme won a one-sided eight round unanimous decision over rugged former world title challenger Hector Velazquez.

He will face a difficult and awkward fighter in Mayfield, who fought on the same October 2012 card when Dulorme lost to Abregu. On that night, Mayfield won a 10-round unanimous decision over Mauricio Herrera.

“Mayfield is a good fighter, but his style will play in to my hands,” Dulorme told RingTV.com in a recent interview in Oxnard, Calif., where he trained for the Mayfield fight. “He’s not technically sound and he opens up a lot. His style favors his punching ability. However, I know I have power and I believe I can hurt him.”

While Dulorme has a quiet confidence about him, he might be walking with more spring to his step now that he is being trained by Robert Garcia. He has worked with Garcia for the last three months.

During his time in Oxnard, Dulorme has sparred with some of the fighters that also train with Garcia, including former lightweight titleholder Brandon Rios. While sparring was good, it is what he saw every day in the gym that left an impression with the 24 year old.

“I have a great team,” said Dulorme, who is promoted by Gary Shaw. “Robert Garcia has helped prepare me very well for this fight. I’ve learned a lot from him. He is at the top of the sport and he has demonstrated it with fighters like Brandon Rios, Marcos Maidana, and others.

“What I’ve noticed with them is that they have the same hunger and drive. I look at the sport differently than I have before. I always want to have that hunger and desire and I see that with all the fighters here. I needed something new in my career (after the Velazquez fight) and I’m glad I found that here in Oxnard.”

Some fighters want to return to the ring after a loss, but may not be ready psychologically and emotionally. One loss turns into two, and then that fighter is never the same, eventually wearing the journeyman title.

Dulorme got over the loss to Abregu and seems to have righted the ship thus far. Although he is still developing and is young, Dulorme figured getting back to the ring right away and finding a trainer like Garcia was the move for him.

“I grew from the loss and corrected the mistakes I made,” he said. “The loss is in my past, but it helped give me experience and I learned a lot from it.

“As far as my physicality goes, I feel stronger. I feel like I hit harder. I feel faster and my legs are stronger. While I feel my strength is there, the key, especially in the Mayfield fight, will be to be more technical and to box.”

Falling off a bike may result in a skinned knee. If so, looks like that “skinned knee” that Dulorme suffered at the hands of Abregu has healed over. While Dulorme is still a work in progress, he still believes he can fight and compete at the highest level of the sport.

It may not be soon, but a win over Mayfield could open doors towards contender status and an eventual title opportunity.

“I’ve worked hard to win this fight. It could be an opportunity for a world title down the line. I just want to prove I could be a world champion.”

Francisco A. Salazar has written for RingTV since October of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, Boxingscene.com, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at santio89@yahoo.com or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing

The post Thomas Dulorme found motivation, Robert Garcia after first loss appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring

    

Kovalev makes weight, Agnew heavy, must lose .8 lb

By Togorashi Sergey Kovalev 174.3 vs. Cedric Agnew 175.8 (WBO light heavyweight championship) Agnew stripped and reweighed, but his weight wasn’t announced. Karim Mayfield 139.6 vs Thomas Dulorme 139.8 Venue: The Ballroom, Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City Promoter: Main Events TV: HBO

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Pacquiao to make 8th appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! next Wednesday

By Togorashi Manny Pacquiao will be a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! next Wednesday, April 2, on ABC, beginning at 11:35 P.M. ET / 10:35 P.M. CT. This will mark the eighth time Pacquiao has appeared on Kimmel’s popular late-night talk show …

Source: Fightnews.com

    

Manny Pacquiao, Bill Clinton to appear April 2 on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’

By Lem Satterfield

Manny Pacquiao will make the eighth appearance of his career on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on April 2, doing so along with former President Bill Clinton, according to a release.

A congressional representative of the Sarangani province in his native Philippines, Pacquiao’s annual berth on the show will come in advance of his April 12 rematch with Tim Bradley, who dethroned Pacquiao as WBO beltholder by split decision in June 2012.

The 35-year-old Pacquiao’s last time on Jimmy Kimmel was in late November 2012, just prior to his sixth-round stoppage loss to Juan Manuel Marquez mere weeks later.

Among the most humorous moments from that appearance was when Kimmel surmised why Pacquiao lost to Bradley.

Prior to facing Bradley, Pacquiao announced on the Kimmel show that he had not only dropped the gambling and womanizing behaviors (which had served as a distraction before his majority decision victory over Juan Manuel Marquez in November of last year) but instead adopted a faith-based lifestyle.

“The last time that you were here, you announced that you had quit drinking and quit gambling and that you had quit cock fighting, and then, for the first time in seven years, you did not win,” said Kimmel.

“You lost the fight. I don’t think you lost the fight but technically, they said you lost the fight. Will you go back to drinking, gambling and cock fighting?”

Later on the show, there were cameos by Marquez, Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum, trainer Freddie Roach, ESPN’s Bernardo Osuna and even Pacquiao’s advisor, Michael Koncz, during a parody of HBO’s 24/7 series, which had Pacquiao being avoided for fights three times by Kimmel’s overweight sidekick, Guillermo Rodriguez.

Pacquiao had also shared the stage with Kimmel 16 days before facing Bradley this, after having been on the show for the fifth time, nine days before his third fight with Marquez.

Pacquiao debuted on the program three days after Halloween in November 2009 prior to dethroning Miguel Cotto as WBO beltholder by 12th-round stoppage later that month.

Pacquiao was also on the show before his unanimous decision win over welterweight Joshua Clottey in March 2010, as well as before earning the WBC’s then-vacant junior middleweight belt with a unanimous decision over Antonio Margarito in November 2010.

Pacquiao was on Kimmel’s show for the fourth time prior to the unanimous decision defense of his crown in May 2011 over Shane Mosley.

The post Manny Pacquiao, Bill Clinton to appear April 2 on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ appeared first on Ring TV.

Source: The Ring

    

Stevenson training for knockout

By Togorashi By Dave Spencer Adonis Stevenson held court in Montreal Thursday as the light-heavyweight champion and promoter Yvon Michel tried to hold off a barrage of questioning concerning , new advisor Al Haymon, HBO having the rug pulled out from under …

Source: Fightnews.com